Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Kindness Factor

Korean people are very kind. Anecdote in point (which like most posts comes down to food): A few weekends ago I decided to check out a newly opened restaurant right by my apartment. Now, I'm pretty sure the entire extended (we'll call them the Hyuns) family was involved with serving me--and they loved every minute of it. Now I don't mean to sound like a narcissistic jerk, but judging from the Hyun's facial expressions and tones, this is a correct claim. It was almost like they had never seen anyone of the European-mold before, which clearly can't be true. But this made the lunch enjoyable for me. As usual, the only people in the room that could speak English were some of the 4 young kiddies. One boy sat across from me nearly the entire time I engorged myself with various soup, sticky and chewy (but not very sweet) dessert squares, and kimchi. He was fascinated by my appearance in the restaurant. The meal's eventual denouement came with my continued eating and some of the women running the place gladly attempting to ask me some predictable questions. They were very impressed when I said, and these are almost exactly my words:
Them: "Teacheree?"
Me: "Yes, teacher...(waiting for a knowing sign)"
Them: "Odi (where)"
Me: "Veritas...Sky Building"
Them: "Ahhh...(knowing smile)"

In another instance I was given a free meal by a restaurant because I was "a foreign tourist!" as they kindly wrote on a piece of paper when I attempted to pay.
Here's the picture:

And most recently I was given a bottle of Coke (a delightful treat for this Coke teetotaler) to have with my meal. I suppose I'll just need to keep popping my foreign head in different restaurants all around Daejeon until they've all given me something for free.

No comments: