Saturday, March 21, 2009

This is Not Mexico

This past weekend I honed my Chilean party skills and hit up a going-away fiesta for a Chileno named Jose. We met the Monday before I began training, as I had sent a bunch of messages to Santiagoans (sp?) asking them if I could stay a night or two, and get to know some of the locals, and save some pesos. Well I didn't end up staying anywhere, but I did get to meet with two upstanding Chilenos: Jose and Patricio. So I was then kindly invited to his going-away (to Europe) party. After a few false starts involving either the undetermined pilfering of pisco, or a check out mistake at the local grocery store, Irish co-teach Nick and I made it to the party via bus and car. The fiesta was to take place in Las Condes, which seemed pretty strong on the ritz factor.

In a short time it was the general consensus was that we each had a fantastic time, and would have stayed longer had the morning hours not started drifting toward sunrise. As usual, the Chilenos were open and generous. Some Latin-speak here, English-speak there, and everyone was understood (more or less). One of the better conversations I got involved in was about Latin America and America's perceptions of it. I gave my view that most Americans probably think the entire hulk of land from Mexico to Patagonia is full of taco-eating (I wish), sombrero-wearing, tequila-drinking people. Though that is all well and good in Mexico, things are quite varied down here. Overall, a fantastic night, and here's wishing good luck to Jose with Europa!


Friendly Chileans (these come with good dance moves)

The Eurotripping man: Jose.

Gringos and Manuella

Gringo (me) and friendly Chileans

On Saturday I woke up six hours after lying down and was soon out the door to watch the Six Nations Rugby match of Ireland (boo! hiss!) versus Wales with Dillon, Allison, and token Irish-man Nick. Dubbed the always dubious "best match ever" by a seasoned Irishman also watching, it was an entertaining game. Unfortunately, Wales couldn't hack it and lost in the closing minutes.

Saturday night was good too, as I met up with Nick some friends of his home stay mother's in the bohemian Bellavista, and then stopped by a b-day party for a co-workers wife closer to my apartment. Though I don't have the pictures to prove it, the prize of the night were the delicious papa fritas (french fries) with a garlicly sour cream sauce I had.

Sunday turned out to be a gastronomic delight as I supped with my housemates on some tacos! Taco Bell couldn't touch these. Not only delicious, but I'm pretty certain I attained my recommended daily vitamins in one meal. The cook's (Es) use of spices was phenomenal. Later I got to try a Chilean treat called Pastel de Choclo, which is akin to a corn pancake. The food I ate in my apartment this weekend was probably the best I've had in quite a while.


Taco number 6 of 7 (or something like that)

1 comment:

Happy thoughts :-) said...

You look like you had a crazy time at that party!! :)